In 1996 Marion Paris, a Vermont state employee, launched the education grant for youth who had experienced foster care in the state of Vermont. Marion, along with other state employees and the support of VFAFA, organized a golf fundraiser called the Tournament for Teens for over 20 years to raise money for the VFAFA Education Grant fund.
VFAFA is proud to offer education grants and honor the work of Marion Paris and her supporters.
1. Student having been in foster care; in the custody of the state of Vermont under Department of Children and Families, formally known as SRS, at any time during youth; regardless of age, duration of custody, and permanency.
2. Apply and provide mandatory documents each semester for which requesting a VFAFA Education Grant by the due dates as listed below. All requests from previous semesters will be discarded.
3. Parent has a current paid annual VFAFA membership (this will not preclude you from being eligible if noted as impossible or a hardship).
1. $500 education grant award per semester.*
2. Up to 8 semester education grants ($4000 total) per individual
*While funds last
Maximum of five individual VFAFA Education Grants will be awarded at random draw, per semester, per the schedule as listed below.
April 30th – Summer semester
July 31st – Fall semester
December 31st – Spring semester
VFAFA Education Grant random draw will occur at the regularly scheduled, monthly VFAFA board meeting immediately following each deadline. VFAFA Education Grant recipients will be notified via email and awards will be paid directly to the student, as named on the application, with checks mailed to the address on the application within 30 days.
VFAFA Education Grants are considered supplemental to other aid, such as scholarships and loans. Grants, like scholarships, are a form of “gift aid” meaning there is no obligation, if obtained lawfully through the eligibility factors, to repay the funds.
Vermont Foster/Adoptive Family Association (VFAFA) reserves the right, at its discretion, to stop grant offerings or change, modify, add, or remove portions of these Terms at any time by posting the amended Terms